Shop This Part Now: Roush Mustang Rear Spoiler (2005-2009)
Before installing your ROUSH Performance Product(s), read through the entire installation procedure and check to make sure all items are present. Contact ROUSH Customer Service at 1-800-59-ROUSH, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM weekdays, for any questions regarding fit or instructions that are unclear to you.
Equipment and Supplies Required
- Drill Motor
- 1/2” rotor broach
- 7/16” drill bit
- 5/16” drill bit
- 1/8” drill bit
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 8mm socket
- Socket Drive
- Rust Prohibitor
- Soft Cloth
- Role of Masking Tape
- Automatic Center Punch
- Torque Gage (N-m)
SAFETY REQUIREMENTS STOP! READ IMPORTANT SAFETY CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS BEFORE PROCEEDING. IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE Appropriate disassembly, assembly methods and procedures are essential to ensure the personal safety of the individual performing the kit installation. Improper installation due to the failure to correctly follow these instructions could cause personal injury or death. Read each step of the installation manual carefully before starting the actual installation.
1) Always wear safety glasses for eye protection.
2) Place ignition switch in the OFF position.
3) Always apply the parking brake when working on a vehicle.
4) Block the front and rear tire surface to prevent unexpected vehicle movement.
5) If working without a lift, always consult vehicle manual for correct lifting specifications.
6) Operate the engine only in well-ventilated areas to avoid exposure to carbon monoxide.
7) Do not smoke or use flammable items near or around the fuel system.
8) Use chemicals and cleaners in well-ventilated areas.
9) Batteries produce explosive gases, which can cause personal injury. Therefore, do not allow flames, sparks or flammable substances to come near the battery.
10) Keeps hands and any other objects away from the radiator fan blades.
11) Keep yourself and your clothing away from moving parts when the engine is running.
12) Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry that can get caught in rotating parts or scratch surface finishes.
13) Allow the engine, cooling system, brakes and exhaust to cool before working on a vehicle.
WORK SAFELY! Perform this installation on a good clean level surface for maximum safety and with the engine turned off.
1) Wipe each part with plastic prep (Dupont® 2319 or equivalent)
2) Wipe entire part with tack cloth
3) Apply adhesion promoter (Dupont® 2330S or equivalent) prior to color and clear coat applications. This part is made of TPO (Thermoplastic polyolefin) and requires a promoter for paint adhesion.
1) Wear eye protection
2) Clean Rear hatch and quarter panel thoroughly before using drill template.
1) Remove factory spoiler (if not equipped skip to step 6.)
2) Open rear trunk, raise decklid
3) Remove M6 nuts securing spoiler to decklid, 4 total. (Refer to Figure A)
Note: Spoiler must be held in place at the same time nuts are removed in order to prevent damage to vehicle.
4) Remove spoiler from vehicle.
5) Clean old foam gasket from decklid.
6) Remove trunk liner at rear of vehicle to gain access to side spoiler fasteners by removing a pushpin, 1 each side. (Refer to Figure B)
7) Position drill templates to body (Refer to Figure C) starting with the center spoiler template, then the side templates. If the vehicle was equipped with a factory spoiler, use the factory spoiler attachment holes to help align the center template to the deck lid. Refer to the alignment notes on the drill templates to align the side spoiler template to the center template. Tape templates into place.
8) Transfer hole centers from template to body using automatic center punch. Align
Center Spoiler Preporation
1) Pre-drill a 1/8” hole in the center of the marked holes. (The two outside hole locations on the center template should be drilled through both the outer sheet metal and reinforcement portion of the deck lid using the 1/8” drill bit).
2) Use a 7/16” drill bit to open up the (4) center holes in the decklid and use a 5/16” drill bit to open up the (2) outside hole locations, according to the template.
3) Open the rear deck lid. Using the outside 1/8” hole as a guide, drill a 1/2 in access hole, with a rotor broach, into the reinforcement portion of the deck lid at the two outside hole locations. DO NOT drill all the way through the outer sheet metal on deck lid (Refer to Figure D).
Side Spoilers Preporation
1) Pre-drill a 1/8” hole in the center of the marked holes.
2) Use a 5/16” drill bit to open up the hole locations.
3) De-Burr all holes and remove metal shavings from area.
4) Remove drill templates.
5) Apply rust prohibitor to new hole openings
Note: It is recommended to use a rust prohibitor for all metal surfaces that have been drilled or cut.
1) Install adhesive tape strips and foam to center spoiler. (Refer to Figure E)
a. Tape, Adhesive 12x1230mm (center spoiler top/bottom), qty 2.
b. Tape, Adhesive 12x93mm (center spoiler sides), qty 2.
c. Tape, Foam 77x35mm (center spoiler at studs), qty 2.
d. Tape, Foam 75x43mm (center spoiler at stanchions), qty2.
e. Tape, Foam Disc (center spoiler sides), qty 2.
2) Install foam to side spoiler LH/RH. (Refer to Figure E)
a. Tape, Foam 82x93mm LH (side spoiler, top), qty 1.
b. Tape, Foam 82x93mm RH (side spoiler, top), qty 1.
c. Tape, Foam 54x75mm LH (side spoiler, side), qty 1.
d. Tape, Foam 54x75mm RH (side spoiler, side), qty 1.
Rear Spoiler Installation
1) Trial fit Center and Side Spoilers to body. Verify centering to decklid and consistent gaping to body and side and center spoilers relative to each other.
2) After fit is reviewed, remove parts for final assembly.
3) Install Center Spoiler to rear decklid.
a. Remove 2” section of tape backing creating a tab to allow adjustment without tape sticking.
b. Position spoiler to decklid, verify proper alignment.
c. Remove tape backing by pulling tabs.
d. Install supplied nuts (4) and bolts (2) (Torque to 5 N-m). Caution, over tightening will cause damage to decklid (Refer to Figure F).
e. Secure bond by applying pressure to taped area.
f. Install the (2) black 1/2-inch body plugs into the access holes in the reinforcement portion of the deck lid (Refer to Figure G).
4) Install Side Spoilers LH/RH.
a. Position spoiler to body side.
b. Install (hand tight) supplied 3 bolts and 1 nut to side spoiler.
c. Align side spoiler to center spoiler and body.
d. Tighten fasteners (Torque to 5 N-m). Caution, over tightening will cause damage to car.
e. Repeat for opposite side spoiler.
f. Verify proper alignment of all three pieces; adjust side spoilers if necessary.
5) Reinstall the trunk liner at side spoiler fasteners.